Board of Fire Commissioners
Notes of Regular Meeting held, April 28, 2011
Note: These notes become official when approved at a subsequent meeting.
The regular monthly meeting of the Board of Fire Commissioners was called to order at 1302hours by Commissioner Mycock, B. Nailor.
Fire Commissioner Mycock read the requirements of open meeting law information
Fire Commissioner Mycock stating that Fire Commissioner Field will not be attending emergency at work
Recording- Two district member recording and the Fire District
• Two letter given to Fire Commissioner Mycock stating:
o Concerns with the new hiring process for vacancy positions
o Concerns with hiring more paramedics instead of basics
• Comment made about Husband and Wife in COMMFD retiring
Fire Chief’s Report:
• Monthly activities: 49 incidents for the month of March, more EMS than Fire
• Call FF’s hired two, need two more for a goal of ten
Fire Commissioner Mycock made a motion to hire two more Call Firefighter to bring our call staff to ten call firefighters/EMT’s – motion was seconded by Fire Commissioner Nailor, motion carried.
• Vacancy position for Lieutenant Hoffman’s position
• Fire Chief stating do not hear of any problems of the hiring process from the Union.
• Fire Chief explained hiring process and gave a matrix to the Board of Fire Commissioners with the results- The hiring process started by placing an advertisement in a local paper, approximately forty five application taking out, approximately thirty eight was returned, both EMT-P and EMT-A responded.
Two hundred fifty point process was used, two Chief’s and the Cape & Islands EMS Director, Two hundred ten points was awarded for their interview, forty points was awarded by the Fire Chief’s Review all equally two hundred fifty points. Six EMT-P were interviewed.
• Would like to make a recommendation to hire from the list and since one of our Call firefighters of our department is on the list, no better people to hire than from our call department- with great joy and great respect for this person, he has proven himself over and over to this department, the Fire Chief recommends hiring call FF EMT-P Shane Clark for the available vacant position.
• Fire Commissioner Nailor made a motion to hire Call Firefighter/EMT-P Shane Clark to be hired for the vacant position as FF/EMT-P for the Cotuit Fire Rescue Department. Motion was seconded, motion carried.
• Budget 75 % on wages and salaries and 76% of the operational budget spent
• Comstar report given to the Board of Fire Commissioner and explained
• Waiting the response from the Union for start of the negotiation process and meeting
Fire Commissioner Mycock makes a motion to adjourn, seconded by FC Nailor, motioned carried.
Board of Fire Commissioners